岂 (豈) qǐ
how can it be that?
Domain: Literary Chinese 文言文 , Subdomain:
Notes: 豈 (simplified 岂) is used in rhetorical questions that require a negative answer. If expressed, the subject is normally placed in front of 豈 (Pulleyblank 1995, p. 142). For example, 雖有臺池鳥獸，豈能獨樂哉？'Although he had towers, ponds, birds, and animals, how could he have pleasure alone?' (Mengzi: 1.2/1/17, translation by Legge)
- 岂料(豈料) who would have thought that / who would have expected that
- 岂不惜哉(豈不惜哉) is it not a shame?
- 岂止(豈止) not only / far from / more than
- 岂可(豈可) how
- 岂敢(豈敢) how could one dare? / I don't deserve such praise
- 岂能(豈能) how can it be possible?
- 岂非(豈非) wouldn't it be ... ?
- 岂不(豈不) how can it be that?
- 岂有此理(豈有此理) preposterous / ridiculous / outrageous
Word is mentioned most frequently in
Truncated for common words
- 卷一百〇一 列傳第五十一: 李乂 薛登 韋湊 韓思復 張廷珪 王求禮 辛替否 Volume 101 Biographies 51: Li Yi, Xue Deng, Wei Cou, Han Sifu, Zhang Tinggui, Wang Qiuli, Xin Tifou Old Book of Tang 舊唐書 — count: 18
- 卷二 魏書二 文帝紀 Volume 2: Book of Wei 2 - Annals of Emperor Wen Records of the Three Kingdoms 三國志 — count: 18
- 昭公 Lord Zhao The Commentary of Zuo on the Spring and Autumn Annals 春秋左氏傳 — count: 17
- 卷九十二 列傳第六十二 文苑 Volume 92 Biographies 62: Writers Book of Jin 晉書 — count: 16
- 卷五十五 Scroll 55 Wenxuan 文選 — count: 16
- 卷五十一 列傳第二十一 皇甫謐 摯虞 束皙 王接 Volume 51 Biographies 21: Huangfu Mi; Zhi Yu; Shu Xi; Wang Jie Book of Jin 晉書 — count: 16
- 卷二十七 志第七: 禮儀七 Volume 27 Treatises 7: Rites 7 Old Book of Tang 舊唐書 — count: 15
- 卷二十 Scroll 20 Wenxuan 文選 — count: 15
- 卷十三 志第三 歷下 Volume 13 Treatises 3: Calendar 2 Book of Song 宋書 — count: 15
- 卷八十八 列傳第三十八: 韋思謙 陸元方 蘇瑰 Volume 88 Biographies 38: Wei Siqian, Lu Yuanfang, Su Gui Old Book of Tang 舊唐書 — count: 15